PT Toba Pulp Lestari produced 167,593 tons of pulp in 2016.
Management of Plantation Forest
The management of PT Toba Pulp Lestari Tbk (“the Company”) believes that accountable forest management, taking into account environmental risk, makes a positive contribution to the business and is beneficial to employees, customers, shareholders, and other stakeholders. The company also believes in a sufficient environment policy and implementation of a sustainable forest management strategy, including:
As part of our commitment to environmental management, we aim to improve in all environmental aspects, including emissions, waste water management, solid waste management, and management of resources such as water, energy conservation, and timber consumption.
Emissions are monitored by six Continuous Emission Monitoring (CEM) devices installed at the recovery boiler, multifuel boiler, common stack recovery boiler, bleaching plant, incinerator and lime kiln.
All equipment is maintained, cleaned and calibrated according to a schedule, and manual testing is carried out regularly by an external laboratory.
- Reducing emissions from causticizing and lime kiln of TRS by 5%, fine particles by 26% and opacity by 29% compared to 2014.
- E Reduced HCL emissions by 16% and slaker vent particles by 18% from Chemical Plant Reduction compared to 2014 levels.
PT Toba Pulp Lestari Tbk is a producer of industrial pulp or commonly known as pulp. Its product is sold at the domestic and export markets.
Licensed capacity is 165 thousand tons / year with 30% tolerance. Total production of last year (2016) reached 167,953 tons.
Company of the Year 2005
Best Entrepreneur of
Women Workers 1996
Industri Hijau 2016
PROPER Awards 2006-2007
Excursie Science 1991
ASEAN Institute of
Is a forestry certification system that is found in the world with an accurate standard, and acknowledged globally which works as a mechanism to verify and improve sustainable forest management and wood products are produced sustainably. And this certification is also useful to ensure that the raw materials used by the Company in producing wood fiber pulp come from sustainable wood sources. This PEFC CoC certificate proves that the management of sustainable industrial forest products (HTI) and harvested timber into the production process into pulp products is ensured to come from sources that can be traced transparently and sustainably. The certification was obtained on March 26, 2018, this PEFC CoC Certification guarantees that all raw materials entering the factory come from non-controversial sources. The PEFC CoC certificate also ensures that PT TPL pulp products come from sustainably managed forests and use supervised materials. In addition, this certificate ensures that forests are managed by prioritizing environmental, social and economic aspects. This is a verified mechanism for tracking wood from the supply process to finished goods.
This IFCC certificate proves that the sustainable management of industrial timber estates (HTI) guarantees consumers around the world that PT TPL provides sustainable forest products that are managed. With the acquisition of IFCC certification, it shows that TPL conducts operational activities by considering aspects of friendly production, paying attention to ecological aspects and the surrounding environment and synergy with the community as the implementation of social aspects in carrying out sustainable, balanced and sustainable forest management
OHSAS 18001: 2007 is an international standard for SMK3 that enables organizations to control the risks associated with K3 and improve K3 performance. This OHSAS standard is based on a continuous improvement methodology known as the Plan-Do-Check-Act (PDCA). PT Toba Pulp Lestari Tbk first obtained this certification in 2016.
ISO 14001: 2015 is an environmental management system that aims to help organizations improve environmental performance through more efficient use of resources and reduced waste, thereby gaining competitive advantage and stakeholder trust. The standard system of ISO management is an environmental management system that requires continuous improvement in the management of the company's environment or its approach to environmental problems. PT Toba Pulp Lestari Tbk first obtained this certification in May 2004 and subsequently in August 2018.
SMK3 is part of the overall Management System which covers the organizational structure, planning, responsibilities, implementation, procedures, processes, and resources needed for development in the implementation, achievement, assessment and maintenance of work safety and health policies in the context of controlling risks associated with work activities to create a safe, efficient and productive workplace. PT. Toba Pulp Lestari Tbk (TPL) received the fifth time award from the Indonesian Ministry of Manpower (Kemenaker) through the achievement of SMK3 (Occupational Safety and Health Management System) after previously receiving similar awards in 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2017 Assessment of achievement of SMK3 performance that has been applied integrally in the operations of the company PT. TPL from the results of an independent audit by PT. Sucofindo on 21 to 23 November 2017 based on the new regulation, namely Government Regulation (PP) No. 50 of 2012 with achievement results / rating "satisfactory" from the total 166 criteria stipulated in PP No. 50 of 2012. PT TPL succeeded in achieving a success rate of 93.97% from the 80% requirement to reach the Golden Flag.
PHPL is a certification whose principles are the basis of sustainable forest management and is a mandatory or mandatory certification based on market demands or market interest (voluntary) carried out in accordance with the rules of the game based on applicable laws and regulations. This certification is also applied to know or evaluate objectively the level of compliance with the rules of the game and the level of performance achieved by the HPH and IUPHHK permit holders. Then the forestry department applies a SFM performance assessment program to the management unit for all UPH and IUPHHK holders in Indonesia. PT Toba Pulp Lestari Tbk has received this certification in October 2018 which is valid until October 2023.
SVLK is a system in Indonesia designed to verify the legality of its wood products. PT. Toba Pulp Lestari, Tbk. (TPL) receives the highest certification in terms of legality (timber validity). The award received by TPL is an annual program with the aim of encouraging companies to use legal timber in their production processes. This annual award is carried out by an independent body PT. SGS (Societe Générale de Surveillance) which is a certification institution that ensures that the raw materials used by companies in producing pulp and wood come from sustainable timber sources. This award was received by PT TPL through the Community Timber Plantation (PKR) program which underwent timber legality certification through timber legality verification activities based on the principles, criteria and indicators established in accordance with the Director General Regulation of Sustainable Production Forest Management Number P.14 / PHPL / SET / 4/2016 concerning Standards and Guidelines for Implementing Sustainable Production Forest Management (PHPL) Performance and Timber Legality Verification (VLK) in the appendix that is relevant to the Regulation of the Director General of Sustainable Production Forest Management Number: P.15 / PHPL / PPHH / HPL.3 / 8 / 2016.
- Recertification on ISO 14001:2004 Certificate on Environment Management System for Manufacture of Bleached Kraft Pulp re-obtained on June 11, 2016, with the following result: “No Major & Minor CAR and 15 Observations for Improvement.”
- Recertification on ISO 14001:2004 Certificate on Environment Management System for Forest Plantation for Pulpwood Production re-obtained on June 24, 2016, with the following result: “No Major & 2 Minor CAR and 14 Observations for Improvement”.
- Recertification on Timber Legal Status Verification Certification (Sertifikasi Verifikasi Legalitas Kayu/SVLK) with the following result: “Comply”, re-obtained on June 30, 2016.
- Surveillance Audit on ISO 9001:2008 Certificate on Quality Management System for Manufacture of Specialty Kraft and Bleached Market Pulp Products run on September 6-9, 2016, with the following result: “No Major & Minor CAR and 11 Observations for Improvement”.
- Recertification Audit on Gold Flag Work Safety and Health Management System Audit Certificate on September 21-23, 2016, with the following result: “Satisfactory, with achievement level of 91%”.
- Surveillance Audit on Certification of Management of Sustainable Production Forest (Pengelolaan Hutan Produksi Lestari /PHPL) on October 10-19 2016 with the following result: “Good, with Maintenance Level of 98.48%”.
- Recertification Audit on OHSAS 18001:2007 Certificate for Plantation Forestry for Pulpwood Production on November 28 - December 2, 2016 with the following result: “No Major & 2 Minor CAR and 19 Observations for Improvement”.
- Level 5 Green Industry Award Certificate received in December 2016.
- "Blue Rating" PROPER Award for 2015–2016 from the Ministry of Environment and Forestry of the Republic of Indonesia;
- Poster Award on Wood Properties Eucalyptus species planted for Pulpwood Production from Japan Wood Research Society at Nagoya University.